Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
When fire damage happens to you, don't panic. Your first step should be to call our team at SERVPRO of Central Ft. Myers. We are a 24/7 emergency service team who knows exactly what to do after a fire. If this unfortunate event happens to you, contact our team at SERVPRO of Ft. Myers, we're here to help!
While you wait for our team to arrive, read below for a few tips to get you started on the cleanup process. Safety should be your first priority before taking any action steps.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 334-8700
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.